Monday, July 7, 2008

Turn this way his dad said. "Ok," said Brent.

Taken with a Nikon D80.

* Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1600) [+]
* Aperture: f/2.2 [+]
* Focal Length: 85 mm [+]
* ISO Speed: 100 [+]

We setup inside my shed and opened the door to the east. The sun was setting casting a golden hue across the field of grass. I underexposed the field a bit keeping aperture fairly wide open (f/2.2 of a possible f/1.4) and at iso 100 that yielded a shutter speed of 1/1600. He was complete black against the background at this exposure.

***Strobist info****: What to do? Oh ya, I have Auto FP with the Nikon CLS/AWS. I set a SB-800 at M 1/1. This was shot through a 43" white satin umbrella that was just out of frame about 2 feet from him on camera right. SB-600 at M1/1 at camera left about 3-4 feet from him into a white satin 43" shoot through umbrella. I had to move those lights right up on him to have enough light output.

Cropped from 4x6 to 8x10 in Adobe Lightroom. Dust spot, levels, saturation/vibrance, and vignette editing done.

I thought this background was a fun change from my interior black or white backgrounds. With the strong warm evening sun, the field had a yellow green color. When I first went rushing inside to get my camera gear, there were dark black/blue clouds over the horizon as well that complimented the grass. However, by the time I got out the sky had cleared and become quite light. I decided against using a wide angle lens that I had initially planned to use and switched to my 85mm lens to include just the fields of grass.

We had just finished fixing the lawn mower and propping up some apple tree limbs when I thought of photographing him here.

No comments: