Sunday, May 4, 2008

Carl and his beard


Carl and his beard, originally uploaded by carlcmc.

This is a photo I setup the lighting for Sabbath morning and had Becky direct me in a few poses from the other side of the camera. This is an example of short lighting with the lighted side of the face away from the camera. Some reflective fill on the other side with a bit of side/hair light as well.

Taken with a Nikon D80.
* Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320) [+]
* Aperture: f/5.6 [+]
* Focal Length: 85 mm [+]
* ISO Speed: 400 [+]

Strobist info: SB-800 into shoot through white satin 43" umbrella at Manual 1/2 at camera right. 3'x7' white sytrofoam reflector at camera left for some fill. SB-600 at M 1/16 on a telescoping tripod. This was positioned out of sight of the camera behind the 7' tall sytrofoam board but so that it could hit the side of my neck and hair for a bit of light. Both triggered via Nikon CLS/AWS.

I chose to stop down a bit aperture wise for this photo. I have been shooting a lot of portrait at larger apertures - f/1.4 ( www.flickr.com/photos/christensen_carl/tags/f14/ ), f/2.8 ( www.flickr.com/photos/christensen_carl/tags/f28/ ) with a few at f/4.0 ( www.flickr.com/photos/christensen_carl/tags/f4/ ). I decided to shoot at f/5.6 for a bit greater depth of field of focus.

After having my tonsillectomy, I hadn't shaved for a couple of weeks. Becky gave me a hair cut Friday evening. So I trimmed by beard just a bit to match my side burns and it matched well with my shirt for church!

No comments: